PART OWNERSHIP, LEASES, CONTINGENCIES.
99. (i) No part ownership of less than a share such as specified from time to time by the Stewards of the Club shall be allowed.
(ii) All part-owners shall be jointly and severally liable for any stakes, forfeits, entrance money, subscriptions, fines, fees, or any other arrears as defined under the Rules, payable to the Club. No part-owner shall assign his share or any part thereof in a horse without the consent of his co-owners.
(iii) At or before the time when any horse, which is a joint property or in which any other person has an interest, is entered for any race at a meeting to be held under the Club there must have been made in writing and sent to the Secretary of the Club for registration and publication in the Racing Calendar, or to the Secretary of the Meeting for transmission to the Secretary of the Club, a declaration setting out particulars of the ownership, the name and address of every person having an interest in the horse, the terms of any sale with contingencies, or the terms of any lease or arrangement as the case may be.
(iv) Any subsequent transfer, dissolution, severance, termination or other change of interest, and the terms of any subsequent sale with contingencies, lease or arrangement must be so declared within fourteen days after it has taken place.
(v) If any co-ownership is formed or any interest accrues or is acquired or any sale with contingencies, lease or arrangement is made or entered into between the time of entry of any horse in any race and the time of starting of the race, a declaration in writing must be made to the Secretary of the Meeting at the earliest possible moment, and not later than the time appointed for making declarations to start for such race. The declaration shall set out particulars of the co-owners, the fact of change of interest and the terms of any sale with contingencies, lease or arrangement as the case may be. The Secretary of the Meeting shall transmit any declaration made to the Secretary of the Club.
(vi) A declaration made under this rule shall be signed by all the parties having any interest in the horse or their authorised agents, and shall state the relative proportions of such interest.
(vii) A fee of an amount fixed by the Stewards of the Club from time to time shall be paid on each declaration under this Rule in respect of each horse in respect of which such declaration is made.
(viii) If any horse in respect of which a declaration is required under this rule runs in a race without the same having been made within the prescribed time the Stewards of the Club upon the facts coming to their knowledge within seven days of the race being run, exclusive of Club's holidays and Race Days, may at their discretion disqualify the horse. If in the opinion of the Stewards, the omission to make the declaration was unintentional, they may fine the person responsible a sum fixed by the Stewards of the Club from time to time.
JOCKEYS AND RIDERS LICENSE ETC.; JOCKEYS' RETAINERS; JOCKEYS FEES; RETAINERS; STABLE SERVANTS; TRAINERS LICENSE; BOOKMAKERS: JOCKEYS AND RIDERS LICENSES, Etc.
100. (i) No person shall ride in any race under these rules until he shall have obtained, from the Stewards of the club, a licence or previous permission to do so, subject to such restrictions and conditions as they may consider necessary. Such Licence or permission must be applied for annually with full name and address at the office of the Club. A Licence shall only remain in force for the current racing season and will only be granted on condition that a jockey is not an owner of any race horse.
(ii) Any person who shall employ a jockey in contravention of this rule, shall be liable to be fined by the Stewards of the Club. (iii) No Licence shall be granted to any person as a Jockey unless he shall:-
(a) have been apprenticed to a trainer licenced or approved by the Stewards of the Club in accordance with the Rules of Racing for the time being of the Club relating to apprentices; or
(b) have been practicing his calling as a jockey and satisfied the Stewards of the Club that he is competent to ride in races; or
(c) have been medically declared fit to ride by the Medical Officer or a panel of Medical Officers appointed by the Club for the purpose and/or;
(d) have ridden in at least 15 races in any recognised centre in the preceding 1 year and/or;
(e) have been not more than 58 years of age and/or;
(f) have a minimum riding weight not exceeding 58 kgs. or in case of a jockey with allowance be able to draw his full allowance on a horse handicapped at 58 kgs.
(g) have been practicing his calling as a Riding Boy and satisfied the Stewards of the Club that he is competent to ride in races;
(h) have held a Jockey's Licence under the Rules of Racing of any Recognised Turf Authority on production of valid clearance accompanied with a satisfactory record under whose Rules he last rode and subject to fulfilling the norms contained in the above mentioned clauses. Provided that no licence shall be granted to a person under the age of 18 years unless he be in regular employment of a trainer licenced and approved by the Stewards of the Club.
(i) Nothing in any of the norms specified in sub-clauses above shall in any way or manner whatsoever derogate from the powers of the Stewards of the Club to grant, suspend, revoke and/or cancel the licence of a Jockey at any time for breach or violation of the Rules of Racing.
(iv) Every jockey shall pay the prescribed fee when granted a licence and every apprentice shall pay a fee when granted permission to ride in races. Every Riding Boy shall pay a fee when granted a licence. This fee shall be paid annually and shall be of such amount/s as may be decided by the Stewards of the Club from time to time.
(v)(a) No person bound as an apprentice to a trainer licenced or approved by the Stewards of the Club for a period of less than 2 years shall ride without the consent in writing of his master.
(b) Any trainer licenced or approved by the Stewards of the Club taking an apprentice shall forthwith lodge at the office of the Royal Calcutta Turf Club a copy of the agreement entered into by or on behalf of such apprentice, and shall produce the original agreement to the Secretary of the said Club if required to do so.
(c) A list containing the names of all licenced jockeys and apprentices who have been granted permission to ride in races shall be kept at the office of the Club and shall be published at such times and in such manner as the Stewards of the Club may direct.
(d) A Jockey whose licence has been withdrawn is a disqualified person.
(e)(i) A Jockey whose licence has been suspended in accordance with the Rules or by any other Recognised Turf Authority shall not ride in any race during the period of suspension.
(ii) If a jockey becomes a disqualified person, his licence is thereby revoked.
(f) A jockey's licence may be restricted as to duration and locality or both and may be cancelled by the Stewards of the Club at any time.
(g) Every Jockey, at the termination of his apprenticeship, is free to form engagement for himself, irrespective of any which have been made for him during such apprenticeship.
(h) Indian jockeys or any apprentice who shall have been granted permission to ride in races under the provisions of this Rule 100(v)(a) shall be entitled from the date of receiving such permission while his apprenticeship continues to claim in any handicap flat race run at any meeting held under the Rules of Racing an allowance on the following scale:-
If he has not ridden ten winners .... 4 kgs.
If he has ridden 10 winners but has .... 3 kgs.
Has not ridden 20 winners
If he has ridden 20 winners but .... 2 kgs.
Has not ridden 30 winners
If he has ridden 30 winners but .... 1 kgs
Has not ridden 40 winners
After riding 40 winners or attaining the age of 25 years whichever is earlier, they are not entitled to claim any allowance.
(i) Winners ridden by an apprentice, at a recognised meeting after he has been apprenticed shall for the purposes of Rule 100 (V)(h) be included in the count. In the event of a dead-heat each horse running a dead-heat is deemed to be a winner.
101. A Jockey may be suspended, fined or disqualified by the Stewards :-
(i) If he shall misconduct himself in any way or
(ii) If he be found intoxicated, use profane, indecent language or use threatening, abusive or insulting words or
(iii) If he shall have any interest directly or indirectly in any wager or bet on any race or
(iv) If he shall accept any pecuniary or other gift or other consideration in connection with any race in which he shall ride other than from the owner or owners of the horse he is riding.
(v) If it be proved to the satisfaction of the Stewards that any licenced jockey owns or has any interest in any race horse, such jockey shall be disqualified and any person acting in the capacity of part owner with such jockey or of trainer of such horse shall also be disqualified.
(vi) Any person betting with or for any jockey or rider may be fined or disqualified or warned off the course.
102. Any apprentice leaving his employment without the consent of his master or without just cause and any trainer or owner engaging or keeping such apprentice in his service may be disqualified or fined by the Stewards.
103. Any gentleman intending to ride in races on even terms with the jockeys shall obtain the previous permission of the Stewards of the Club. Any permission granted by the Stewards of the Club shall be effective for the racing season for or during which it is granted unless otherwise stated. A gentleman rider shall not be entitled to claim any jockey's allowance.
104. A Jockey who has been disqualified from riding must apply to the Stewards of the Club for a renewal of his licence if he intends to ride again.
JOCKEYS' RETAINERS :
105. Every owner or a licenced Trainer or licenced jockey or an Apprentice Jockey shall lodge with the Secretary of the Club for registration any Agreement relating to the jockeys' retainer. The Stewards will not recognise any retainer unless such agreement has been registered with the Club.
106.(a) If a jockey is prevented from riding by disqualification or suspension any person who has retained him, may, subject to the terms of any agreement between them cancel the retainer.
(b) Employers retaining the same jockey have precedence according to the priority of their retainers
107. The Stewards may adjudicate between persons claiming the services of any jockey, and on disputes between jockeys and their employers, and have power to cancel any agreement between them.
108. The terms of all agreements shall be registered in the office and a fee as may be decided by the Stewards of the Club from time to time shall be paid therefor.
JOCKEYS FEES :
109.(i) The fees payable to Jockeys shall be as follows and no further charges, except for expenses when the Jockey is requested to leave home for the purpose of riding shall be allowed :
(a) A riding fee per Mount as may be determined by the Stewards of the Club and published in the Racing Calendar from time to time.
(b) Commission to Jockeys for a winning mount or for riding a placed horse shall be as determined by the Stewards of the Club and published in the Racing Calendar from time to time.
In the case of a dead-heat for first place each Jockey shall be paid a winning mount fee.
(ii) Mount fees for Apprentices shall be half the amount payable to Jockeys.
(iii) All gratuities to Apprentices shall be paid to the Club, to be held in accordance with the conditions of the Indenture of Apprenticeship.
(iv) In the event of any Apprentice receiving a gratuity or any master or trainer receiving a gratuity on behalf of an Apprentice, the same shall be paid within seven days to the Club, to be held as above.
(v) For the purpose of this rule, the value of the prize shall not include any trophy won under the conditions of the race nor any money or trophy won for any person other than the nominator.
110. The Jockey's riding fee other than the commission paid for winning or being placed, shall be deposited with the Secretary or the Clerk of the Scales, before the race, and no jockey shall be weighed out for a race unless the amount of his riding fee has been deposited. The balance of the fee or commission to which the Jockey will be entitled as for the winning mount, or for placed mounts, shall be deducted from the stakes and paid to such jockey. Any special arrangements must be in writing signed by the jockey and lodged with the Secretary.
i) A jockey shall be entitled to the mount fees only after he has actually weighed out for a specific race.
ii) In the event of a declared starter being withdrawn for any reason whatsoever after the declared jockey has been weighed out, the rider will be entitled to the mount fee.
If for any reason whatsoever, the declared rider after being weighed out is unable to fulfill his riding engagements, the mount fees will be payable only to the substituted jockey who actually rides the horse in question.
111. No retainer shall be recognised unless, it be in writing signed by the parties and lodged at the registered office of the Club.
STABLE SERVANTS :
112. No Trainer or Owner shall without the previous consent in writing of the Stewards employ in any capacity in connection with the care, control or training of any horse:-
(a) Any person whose last application for trainer's or jockey's licence has been refused or whose last licence as a trainer or jockey was cancelled or withdrawn or;
(b) Any person prohibited by the Stewards from being employed in or about any stable or;
(c) Any person who has at any time been disqualified in this or any other country.
(d) Any stable servant who has previously been in a training stable without referring to his last employer and receiving a satisfactory reply in writing.
(e) The Stewards may, in their absolute discretion
(i) refuse to register such employee;
(ii)register such employee either unconditionally or upon such conditions as the Stewards deem fit to impose and
(iii) revoke or cancel any registration at any time.
(f) The Stewards may fine or otherwise punish any trainer infringing this rule and continuing to employ such servant after notice has been served on him by the previous employer or through the Club.
(g) If any person shall be proved to the satisfaction of the Stewards to have tampered with any stable servant in a racing stable, he shall be liable to a fine or may be disqualified for any period they may think fit and such stable servant may be punished at their discretion.
TRAINERS LICENCES :
113. No person shall train a horse registered under these rules for fee or reward without having first obtained, from the Stewards of the Club, a licence, which may be subject to such restrictions and conditions as they may consider necessary. No such licence shall remain in force for more than one racing season. The fee for such licence shall be fixed by the Stewards of the Club from time to time. The Stewards of the Club may refuse to grant such Licence and may at any time cancel or revoke such licence without giving any reasons thereof.
114.(a) Any person training a horse in contravention of this rule may be warned off the course and shall then be subject to all the disabilities specified under the Rules.
(b) In addition to or in lieu of any other penalties or punishments as may be laid down under these Rules of Racing, a Trainer may be fined, suspended or disqualified by the Stewards :-
(i) If his conduct or negligence or neglect in the performance of his duties as a licenced professional has led or could have led to a breach of the Rules of Racing;
(ii) If he shall misconduct himself in any way;
(iii) If he be found intoxicated, use profane, indecent language or use threatening, abusive or insulting words.
(c)(i) Should a Trainer be suspended from possessing a licence granted to him to train race horses, he shall not train race horses under these rules or under the Rules of any other recognised Turf Authority during the period of his suspension.
(ii) If and when a Trainer be suspended from training race horses and if he were to own horses either solely or in partnership to race, entries of such horses shall not be accepted and in respect of entries already accepted, such horses shall not be permitted to start under these rules or under the rule of any other recognised Turf Authority during the period of his suspension.
(iii) A Trainer, whose licence has been withdrawn, is a disqualified person.
115. No person shall be permitted to carry on or assist in carrying on the business of a bookmaker or act as Clerk or Assistant to any person carrying on such business at any race meeting held under these rules, unless he has first obtained licence from the Stewards of the Club.
(a) The fee for a Bookmaker's Licence and for an Assistant's Licence, payable annually, shall be a sum fixed by the Stewards of the Club from time to time.
(b) No licenced bookmaker shall, without the permission of the Stewards of the Club, act as betting agent of any person other than a person licensed as a bookmaker by the Stewards of the Club or permit any such person to have any pecuniary interest whatsoever in his business of a bookmaker either as a partner, guarantor or otherwise.
(c) Should any bookmaker or his licenced assistant be guilty of contravening any provisions governing the operation of his book as laid down by the Stewards of the Club from time to time, he is liable to have his licence withdrawn. Any bookmaker or assistant, whose licence is withdrawn is a disqualified person.
NOTE : Each Club may amend or insert rules for Bookmakers at their discretion particularly since terms and conditions for Bookmakers are at times governed by the Licence to Race granted by the State Government in some Clubs.